top of page
Bucks-Run-Golf-Club-History.jpg

Before being refashioned into an acclaimed golf club, Michigan’s Bucks Run Golf Club was a quarry for sand, gravel, and stone. The Fisher Family, a local entrepreneurial magnate, has owned the 290-acre property since the early 1950s, along with other local businesses: Fisher Transportation, Central Concrete, Central Asphalt, Fisher Sand and Gravel, Fisher Contracting, Bay Aggregate, Port Fisher, Midland Engine, among others.

 

The land sat unused for nearly 10 years after mining operations ceased in the 1990s. Construction for the golf course began in 1999, and was designed by famed course architect, Jerry Matthews. Matthews’ transformed what was once the central mining quarry into Lake Fisher, and worked to incorporate the nearly two miles of Chippewa River frontage and two additional small lakes into several holes on the course. The course was open for play about a year later, on July 1, 2000.

 

Bucks Run Golf Club has received numerous accolades since its opening. Golf Digest’s Places to Play gave the course 4 ½ out of 5 stars. The course also ranked in the top 50 for service, course condition, and pace of play. We have hosted numerous Powerbilt Junior Tour events, United States Amateur qualifiers, LPGA events, among many others.

Bucks Run Golf Club is located in Mount Pleasant, MI making it a perfect location for players from the surrounding cities of Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Lansing to meet and compete. When looking for a great golf club, Michigan golfing enthusiasts and non-local players alike are welcome on our turf.

A History of our
Michigan Golf Club

Fisher-Companies-History.png

History of the Fisher Companies & Family

In 1925, The Fisher Companies began as a single company operation, founded by Ralph Fisher. This single company, known as Fisher Sand & Gravel, began as a small sand and gravel operation, which provided materials to road and underground projects in the Mid-Michigan area. 

With a proactive view of what was going on in the gravel industry, Ralph Fisher decided that if he didn’t get into the concrete business, someone else would – and they would take over the gravel industry. It only seemed natural and logical to Ralph that people in the sand and gravel business should also be in the concrete business. Therefore, out of necessity, the business expanded to include concrete producer services.

 

Throughout the 1940’s, the Fisher Companies weathered many changes, but continued to grow steadily. After World War II, Ralph’s sons took over the business, and saw opportunities in many other product and service lines. By the 1950′s, a civil contracting segment was added, alongside the ready mix concrete division. With time, these segments of the business had grown so large that separate companies were started. In 1955, Central Concrete Products was founded (Mt. Pleasant, Alma, & Clare, MI), soon followed by Fisher Contracting (Midland, MI & Franklin, KY) in 1957.

To round-off the complementary suite of products and services, Fisher Companies established their own heavy-haul transportation company in 1970, known as Fisher Transportation (Mt. Pleasant, MI). Thus, offering customers a complete solution – from product to delivery with all other Fisher Operations. Fisher Transportation quickly grew to provide services outside the Fisher operations, and now serves a diverse base of customers.

During the 1980′s, an asphalt division and construction aggregates division were also created; again to complement the already existing Fisher Operations. Joining the Fisher Companies in 1982, Central Asphalt (Mt. Pleasant, MI) brings a full-service asphalt production and paving company to the table, Then, in 1983, Bay Aggregate (Bay City, MI) was founded, boasting a prime location on the Saginaw River and is a supplier of a multitude of aggregate products. An industrial and construction engine rebuilder was soon to follow in 1984, known as Midland Engine (Midland, MI).

The year 2000 saw the opening of Bucks Run Golf Club, which was designed in what used to be an old mining operation for the companies. Those operations halted in the 1990’s – leaving the site undisturbed for almost a decade until construction began on the course and clubhouse. 

In keeping with the tradition of adding complementary industries to the Fisher Companies, Port Fisher Terminals (Bay City, MI) was founded in 2012. The terminal is a multi-modal port, which also offers bulk material storage. 

Most recently, in 2015, an aggregate mining division was added and produces/supplies construction aggregate materials to the Fisher Companies and area customers.

Fisher-Companies-History.jpg
bottom of page